The abradant supplied with the Taber® Linear Abraser and Reciprocating Abraser is referred to as a Wearaser®. Comprised of silicon carbide or aluminum oxide abrasive particles embedded in a resilient or vitrified (clay) binder, the Wearasers are designed so the binder material breaks down during use - thus exposing and creating a new abrading surface.
Utilizing a proprietary formulation developed by Taber Industries, two general types of Wearasers are offered - Calibrase® (resilient identified by "CS" reference) and Calibrade® (non-resilient identified by "H" reference). With standardized grades to meet varying requirements of abrasive action, many different types of material surfaces may be evaluated. The quality and uniformity of the Wearasers is maintained by continuous inspection sampling and tightly controlled manufacturing processes.
The standard Wearaser has a diameter of 1/4" and is the size and shape of a pencil eraser. This is secured in place with the Wearaser collet with approximately 0.100" exposed for testing. Two other abradant configurations are also offered. The Jumbo Wearaser has a 1/2" diameter (requires the Jumbo Wearaser collet assembly) and the Weardisc™ is a 3/4" diameter by 3/16" thick (requires the Universal Attachment). Due to the larger contact area, both the use of the Jumbo Wearaser and Weardisc should be limited to flat specimens or samples that have little to no change in its shape / contour. Taber recommends applying the Weardisc to the Universal Attachment with pressure sensitive adhesive.
How long the abradant will last is dependent on the load, surface texture and frictional characteristics of the material being tested and frequency of refacing.
Calibrase Wearasers & Weardiscs
- CS-8 Calibrase - Resilient Wearaser that produces extremely mild abrading action, designed to operate under light loads.
- CS-10F Calibrase - Resilient Wearaser that produces mild abrading action, designed to operate under light loads.
- CS-10 Calibrase - Resilient Wearaser that produces mild - medium abrading action.
- CS-17 Calibrase - Resilient Wearaser that produces medium-coarse abrasive action.
- CS-19 Calibrase - Resilient Wearaser that produces coarse abrasive action.
Calibrade Wearasers & Weardiscs
- H-10 Calibrade - A non-resilient, vitrified Wearaser that provides medium abrasive action.
- H-18 Calibrade - A non-resilient, vitrified Wearaser that provides a medium - coarse abrasive action.
- H-22 Calibrade - A non-resilient, vitrified Wearaser produces a coarse abrasion.
- H-38 Calibrade - A non-resilient, vitrified abrading wheel that provides a mild abrasion. Comprised of very fine abrasive particles, similar to a polishing stone.
- CS-2 Calibrase - Resilient Wearaser that has no abrasive material.
- CS-5 Calibrase - Resilient Wearaser that is comprised of densely compacted felt. May be used for dry or wet rub tests. Only available as 1/2" Jumbo.
- CS-7 Calibrase - Similar to CS-5 but slightly harder for increased abrasion. Only available as 1/2" Jumbo.
- H1 Felt - Resilient Wearaser that is comprised of densely compacted felt according to DIN 61200. Only available as 1/4" diameter.
- Eraser - According to MIL 12397. Resilient Wearaser that produces very mild abrading action, designed to operate under light loads